Wednesday, December 7, 2011
GM Engine Compartment Fire Recall Bullletin
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2003 model year Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix, 1998-1999 model year Chevrolet Lumina and Oldsmobile Intrigue, 1998-2003 model year Chevrolet Monte Carlo, and 2000-2003 model year Chevrolet Impala model vehicles, equipped with a 3.8L V6 naturally aspirated engine (RPO L36 — VIN K). Some of these vehicles have a condition in which drops of engine oil may be deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking. In rare cases, if this condition occurs, and if a hot surface ignition source were present, an engine compartment fire could occur.
Dealers are to remove the 1-3-5 spark plug wire retention channel at the front of engine and replace it with new retainers.
1. Remove the fuel injector sight shield (1). Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Sl.
2. Remove the 1-3-5 spark plug plastic retaining channel (cover) clip/bracket (2) from the engine and discard it.
3. install a 7 mm four-wire retainer, P/N 88891792 (1) (qty 5/pack) to spark plug wire number 4, then to spark plug wires 1, 3 and 5. Save the other 7 mm or 8 mm spark plug four-wire retainers for future repairs. Make sure that spark plug wires 2, 4 and 6 are secured to the original retainers and under the left engine mount strut bracket.
4. Install a 7 mm two-wire retainer, P/N 12132229 (Qty 10/pack) to spark plug wires 3 and 5 only (3). Save the other 7mm spark plug two-wire retainers for future repairs. Make sure the spark plug retainer (3) is approximately 50 mm (2 in) from the oil level indicator (2).
Important: Ensure the installed spark plug wire retainers do not contact the fuel injector sight shield or exhaust manifold.
5. install the fuel injector sight shield (1). Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Sl.